Mould is a fungal growth that thrives on moisture. Mould spores are always present in the air, but they only germinate when they encounter moisture and organic material.
In your home, mould generally grows where moist warm air meets a cold surface. The air moisture condenses, wetting the surface and creating the ideal environment for mould to thrive.
Mould thrives in damp, dark, poorly ventilated environments, like your bathroom or laundry. It can grow on carpets, curtains, walls, ceiling tiles, insulation material, behind furniture, and in cluttered storage areas. Mould also grows on food.
Apart from adding an unpleasant dinginess to your home, mould can damage building materials costing you money in maintenance. It can also cause health problems: mould releases toxic chemicals, called mycotoxins, which can cause allergic reactions for some people.